Monday, March 24, 2008

Treacherous Table Tennis

We had a great holiday weekend with family.

We spent Saturday with my family and got to spend lots of time with my baby nephews. My parent's basement is finally cleaned up so there was shuffle bowling and ping pong all day.

The evening wound down and at about 9:00, #2 asked if I'd play him one last game of ping pong.

I was losing by 2 points when I reached across the table to hit the ball...the table collapsed and I flailed wildly about.

Unfortunately, #2 wasn't wearing shoes or socks and the edge of the table made contact with his big toe...really bad.

So, he's now got 5 stitches across the top of his big toe and is to stay off his feet for the week. I've got a picture of it somewhere, it looks like a "Franken-toe".

The good news is that it only took 2 hours in the E.R. #2 had been infused with his factor the day before so the bleeding was minimal. E.R. staff didn't freak out when we brought him in...

All in all, it was an exciting weekend! And #2 has a really good story to tell when he gets back to school after spring break.

4 comments:

Ramble On said...

You are going to have a hard time living this one down. I'd rather see the picture someone had to take of you! Hope both of you mend well.

Michael said...

Mend well, mend fast and no scarring physical or mental for either of you. Ouch! I once squished the fingers of our eldest in a door when he was very little. He was better in a couple hours. I still hurt to think about it.

Jennifer said...

Oh, the mental picture, the falling table, falling Rix, banged up toe... I can just picture it now.

I'm glad everything worked out medically, though, because any injury must be a big scare for you.

Rixblix said...

Thanks guys! His toe is mending...my ego? Not so much so. :)

There was a time when a rush to the ER would have been a huge ordeal; we've lived through 3 trips for stitches and 2 broken arms, though, so we're old pros.

If you would have told me when they were little that we'd look at these injuries as "normal" I would've thought you were nuts. They sure bleed a lot, but that just makes the experience all the more interesting!