Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pledging

So, my kid came home from school one day and told us a story about how the teacher's assistant in his homeroom confronted him about not reciting the pledge of allegiance.

Waaaa? Huh?

This was news to us. We weren't aware that he'd taken it upon himself to do this. So that was surprising. Mr. Rix and I let him finish his story.

He wasn't reciting the pledge and the aide approached him and asked him why no. He told her "I don't have to". She asked if was a religious thing and he said no. She told him she'd talk to his teacher and maybe he'd have to go to the principal. He said o.k. She spoke with the teacher who shrugged it off and the incident was over.

Except that now, #1 is "That Kid". It doesn't help that he's also got long blonde hair. And he's short. He kinda sticks out in a crowd. He's the only drummer in the sixth grade, on the scholastic bowl team...you catch my drift.

So, we asked him why he didn't recite the pledge and he told us that he didn't think he should say a pledge to a country that's in a bad war. It didn't make sense to him.

While Mr. Rix and I agree with him, we did tell him that there were boys, girls and teachers at his school who have family in the military and in Iraq; their feelings might be hurt or they may think that he's disrespecting their service. We reminded him of the members of our family who served in the military and wondered if he was doing them a disservice. We also told him that if his school/principal chose to punish him, we'd have to support the school. He'd have to be willing to accept the consequences of his actions.

He had obviously given the matter some thought. He said "isn't that WHY all those people fought in wars in stuff? So we don't HAVE to recite things we don't believe in?"

4 comments:

Michael said...

My mother was a practicing Jehovah's Witness when I was in school and she told me that I should stand respectfully but not recite the Pledge because I was not to make vows to anything or anyone but God. So I did what she asked and it was no more popular in the 60s than it is now ... perhaps even less so. I think I understand your son's feelings because I was amazed at just how close minded some people can be about what our "freedoms" really are. To this day I feel free to either say the Pledge ... or not ... depending on how I feel that day. I still love my country very much and respect the rights of others ... I simply wish to retain MY rights as well. If you don't use them ... you lose them.

HipKat said...

Love it!
THis is a kid after my own heart!!

And he rawks!

ZM said...

Oh, crap, Rix. You are in trouble with this kid...he's got a lot of horsepower in that skull!

you must be so proud. And wry.

Rixblix said...

Michael, we appreciate his stance. We also know that there's a very good chance he'll do a 180 at some point!

Mama o'...don't you know it. What's a Midwestern gal to do? Maybe I'll send him your way. I have a feeling he wouldn't stick out quite so much!