Friday, January 25, 2008

Privacy

What a tenuous web we weave as we attempt to control our own personal privacy.

Personal privacy among adults has become an insane hot button issue. "I don't have anything to hide, I don't care who listens to my phone calls." "Only people with something to hide have something to hide".

Uuhhhh.

Those lines of privacy become very blurred and vague for those who work with high school students.

15, 16, 18 year olds are still children. As much as our culture would love to classify them as adults and hold them to the same standards as 30 and 40 year olds, there are very few in their 30's and 40's who would like to be judged by the actions of their younger selves.

When did we become a people who decides the fate of a human being based on what they choose when they are too young to vote or buy a six pack?

There are days when I just want to scream "UNCLE"

Today is that day.

2 comments:

i do not know me said...

So what prompted this post?

Exblick said...

Now, if I TOLD you it wouldn't be private, would it?