Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Last Good Man?

Am I married to him?

My husband DIDN'T leave when our son was diagnosed with a chronic medical condition.

When we thought we had a kid who wouldn't fulfill all those promises of what a boy should be, my husband stuck around to see where our road would lead.

When we had no money, a part time job prospect out of state, no insurance and no ASSURANCE of our future he DIDN'T leave.

He was the only one working. We had no daycare, no family nearby...he gobbled up all the overtime he could find. We missed him. I missed him. It's what we did..

When I got mad at doctors, nurses, random people...he got embarassed and told me so. I told him where to go. He didn't. We fought it out and figured it out.

He left socks on the kitchen counter, retreated to his computer, pretended like we were the Cleavers. I told him he was full of shit. He told me life wasn't always supposed to be so serious. I told him sometimes it actually was serious. We talked and talked until we were both tired of talking.

Neither one of us gets an award. That's just what you do when you are a family.

Since when is it exceptional to do what you are supposed to do?

No comments: